“UK” or “Britain” or … ?

The UK, Great Britain, the British Isles, England… these are not just different names for the same landmass! As the Ordnance Survey points out in their blog, the differences are:-

(Images: www.historic-uk.com)

  • the United Kingdom‘s full name is ‘the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland’
  • Great Britain comprises England, Wales and Scotland (not Northern Ireland)
  • the British Isles refers to all of the islands, including Ireland
  • England is the country on the bottom left!